Saturday, July 18, 2009

Misery oh I mean Missouri

So the state of Missouri is awful to bike through, or at least has been for B2SB 2009. We had 3 95 mile days back to back which is just hellish. The ride out of St. Louis was my Worst yet. It started off with two flats in the first 2 miles then another about 15 miles out which always puts a downer on things because it just slows you down so much. Then at about mile 60 it just got a little rough wiht some climbing and for some reason my legs just died on me. The last 15 miles were down this little road trying to find this boy scout camp by myself. This was the end of a 95 mile day, and just really sucked all enjoyment of the ride out of me. It was the first ride I truly didn't enjoy. Then the next day out of the boy scout camp we had soem gravel roads to bike on, which are really not fun on a road bike. There were some flats and I ended up behind. I ultimately met up with Jodi and we biked together for the rest of the day. The ride wasn't bad and we ended up stoping at sonic at the second half of the day. The day was super hilly and due to a rule implementation and me, Leslie, Denis, and Jodi running a bit late, we ultimately didn't finish the ride which is alright. I also had more flat issues which just sucks. Then our ride into springfield was rough too. It was a pretty day but brutal riding with some serious climbs and just hills all day, as well as being a 95 miler. We also got sent on a 10 mile detour, which would have made it a 105 mile day, but at mile 95, only a few miles from the host Jodi popped her Chain off and it got kinked and we couldn't get it unkinked. It was such a blow, cause we were both stoked to finish the ride. I didn't want to leave her by herself to wait for the van and I was getting a flat on my back tire as well as the fact that by the time we got it sorted out it was 6:40, so I rode the last miles in the van. To top it off all of the food at the host had been eaten when we got back. We went to Sonic to get dinner ultimately, but it was a rough and discouraging day.

Todays ride from Springfield to Joplin was redeeming though. It was ultimately an 85 mile ride but it was beautiful and It went well. I felt great and my legs had a little spring to them after our build day(day no biking) in Springfield.

The trip in general is going great. We eat obscene amounts of food and just laugh so hard all the time. We are frequently on the point of hysteria, but its just great fun and lots of laughs. My body is startign to feel the toll of all this riding. My left hand doesn't work right and I frequently have trouble shifting my front chainrings(left side) because of some numbness and just tingling. My legs are never as spry as they used to be just cause they can't fully rest. But I am having a blast.

Also, if your so inclined...send me stuff! The mail drop info is on the right. I would love to hear from any of you and any food or anything is always appreciated. Much love!

Cheers

-Robby

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep on truckin man. I hope all turns around soon for ya. Miss you bud.

Unknown said...

Hang in there rob san, fall quarter and football season are right around the corner!

Keep on peddlin. give me a call buddy.